When your Toshiba Tecra laptop is not plugged in, it still receives power from the RTC (Real Time Clock), which is also called the CMOS or BIOS battery. If the RTC battery dies, your Tecra will no longer save important settings like the system time and the boot-up procedure. You can change the RTC battery yourself but you first need to remove a series of other hardware components that block direct access to the battery.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Flathead screwdriver
- Phillips-head screwdriver
- RTC battery
Turn off the Toshiba Tecra. Disconnect the laptop's power cable. Close the screen lid and flip the Toshiba over.
Push down the battery slide bar and lift the battery out of the Tecra laptop. Flip the Tecra back to its upright position and open up the screen lid.
Wedge the end of a flat object, such as a flathead screwdriver, underneath the keyboard securing strip located above the Tecra's keyboard. Disconnect the strip and then pull it completely off the laptop.
Locate the two screws at the top edge of the Tecra's keyboard. Remove them both with a Phillips-head screwdriver and then lift up the keyboard and set it on the Tecra's palm rest.
Remove the screws that hold the plastic cover over the motherboard. Pull the cover off the Tecra laptop.
Locate the RTC battery at the lower-right corner of the Tecra's motherboard. Detach the cable from the side of the RTC battery and then pull the battery off the motherboard.
Set the new RTC battery onto the Tecra's motherboard and attach the side cable. Replace the Tecra's plastic cover, keyboard, securing strip and battery.
Tips and warnings
- After changing the Tecra's RTC battery, you must reset the BIOS. Power on the Tecra and press "F2" when the Toshiba logo appears. Press the "F9" key when the BIOS menu appears to reset the BIOS options. Press "F10" to save the changes and restart the operating system.
- Never touch the components inside your Tecra laptop without first properly grounding yourself by touching a metal device that is connected to the ground.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for