Halogen lights offer a brighter, longer-lasting alternative to incandescent or compact fluorescent ones. The halogen gas burns at a much higher temperature than the gas in other bulbs and reacts with vaporised tungsten from the filament, depositing some it back on the filament, increasing its lifespan. The high temperature shifts the colour spectrum of halogen light more towards blue, making the light appear brighter. Halogen light fixtures are wired in the same way as incandescent or compact fluorescent ones.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Utility knife
- Wire splicing tool
- Twist-on wire connectors
Make sure the power is off to the fixture before making connections.
Remove about 6 inches of sheathing from the house wire by cutting around the circumference with a utility knife. Be sure not to cut into the plastic casings of the enclosed wires. Pull the sheathing off with pliers.
Remove about 1/2 inch of casing from the ends of the black-and-white wires with a splicing tool.
Hold the white wire from the house wire together with the white wire from the fixture so that the ends are parallel. Twist them together clockwise with pliers until they are securely connected. Screw on a wire cap, making sure that no bare wire shows outside the cap.
Repeat step 4 with the black wires.
Twist the ground wires together and, if the house electrical box is metal, attach these to the grounding nut in the box.
Screw the adaptor plate that came with the fixture into the electrical box. Mount the fixture by attaching it to the adaptor plate with the screws that are provided.
Tips and warnings
- Some light fixtures may not have a ground wire. If the fixture is metal, the ground wire should be attached to it by means of a nut or screw.
- The high temperature of halogen bulbs makes them a fire hazard. Never mount a halogen fixture near anything that can catch fire, like curtains.
- Never touch a halogen bulb with your bare hands. The oil from your hands can cause the bulb to explode when it heats up.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for