BMW 528i car owners often find themselves having to return their car to the dealership in order to have the oil service light reset. If the dealership is not the preferred service centre, this can lead to a premium charge. Avoid this fee by using the oil service light reset procedure for the 1997 528i BMW.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Jumper wire
- Flathead screwdriver
Consult the car owner's manual to help locate the diagnostic plug connector for the BMW; the connector is located in the hood compartment.
Remove the cover from the diagnostic connector once located, and locate pins marked as number 7 and number 19.
Ensure the ignition key is in the "Off" position. Place the jumper wire between pins 7 and 19 on the diagnostic connector plug.
Turn the ignition key on to position number 2 without starting the vehicle. Leave the ignition key in this position for approximately three seconds or until the oil service light goes out.
Turn the ignition key to the "Off" position once the oil service light has gone out.
Remove the jumper wire from the diagnostic connector from within the engine compartment and replace the protective cover onto the diagnostic plug connector.
Tips and warnings
- Some auto parts stores sell a reset tool for the BMW 528i that will fit into the diagnostic connector plug and perform the same function.
- Ensure the ignition key is turned off when installing or removing the jumper wire into the diagnostic connector pins.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for