Epson printers have "smart chips" that detect if an ink cartridge has reached its limit and already needs to be replaced. When the chip detects that the ink cartridge has been emptied, it will stop recognising the chip and the user will need to buy a new cartridge for the printer. Since refilling an ink cartridge is less expensive than buying a new one, you need to reset your Epson ink cartridge chip.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Epson chip resetter
Make sure that the "Epson chip resetter" that you have on hand is compatible with the model of printer you are using. Many chip resetters are "universal," which means that they can be used with any Epson printer, or any other printer with which it is compatible.
Turn on the computer as well as your printer. Open the lid of the printer and carefully remove the cartridge. You may also refer to your printer's manual to know exactly how to remove the cartridge from your printer.
If the cartridge has become dirty or oily, wipe it with a tissue or a clean cloth to remove the oil or dirt. Align the "gold pins" of the chip resetter to the "gold contacts" of the ink cartridge. As they come in contact, the resetter will flash a red light. After about six seconds, the light should change from red to green, indicating that the chip has been reset.
Open the lid of the printer and reinsert the cartridge. Click on "Start," and then select "Printers and Faxes." Right-click on the name of your printer and select "Printing Preferences" or something similar. See if it detects that the cartridge is full. If it does, the cartridge has been successfully reset.
Tips and warnings
- Make sure that the ink cartridge you are using is an original Epson ink cartridge.
- Most chip resetters are battery powered. If you plan to use them for a long period of time, you may need to change the batteries to keep them working.
- There are different kinds of chip resetters; instructions vary depending on the kind or brand of resetter you are using. For specific instructions, consult the device manual.
- Make sure that the ink you use to refill the cartridge is of good quality and that it matches the colours used in original Epson ink cartridges.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for