Chamomile lawns are popular for backyard areas as well as large open fields around a home or park. The chamomile plant is a low-growing plant even when it is in bloom, thus the lawn is still easy to walk through. Chamomile plants require well-drained, acidic soil in which to grow. Although a bit of soil preparation is needed before planting the chamomile seed, the mature chamomile lawn requires very little care other than occasional water.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Garden tiller
- Lawn fertiliser
- Seed spreader
- Fertiliser spreader
- Chamomile seed
- Grass seed
Plough the entire surface of the lawn using a garden tiller to uproot all existing weeds and grass. Set the tiller blade so that it penetrates the soil by 6 inches. Tillers can be purchased or rented at home improvement stores.
Spread an all-purpose lawn fertiliser onto the tilled area of soil. Pour the fertiliser into a seed spreader or fertiliser spreader. Consult the package for the correct spread rate and dial setting. When you are done spreading the fertiliser, work it into the soil by retilling the entire area with the garden tiller.
Make holes in the soil that are 1/4 inch deep and 6 inches apart. Place a single chamomile seed into each hole and cover the seed completely with soil.
Water the lawn with 1 to 2 inches of water after the initial planting. Afterwards, water at least once per day to keep the seeds moist until they break through the soil.
Tips and warnings
- If the soil is not acidic, begin preparing it two to three months in advance of planting by spreading compost over the surface of the soil to lower the pH level.
- Mow the chamomile lawn when needed with the mower blade set to the highest height possible.
- If bare patches develop, sprinkle any type of grass seed into the area, or transplant some chamomile plants from other areas of the lawn.
- Don't plant your seeds in rows, stagger the seeds so plants can spread evenly for a lawn-like effect.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for