Climbing rose bushes differ from other roses because they grow vertically rather than bushing outwards. The stalk of each upward-growing rose, called a cane, is not very sturdy and often breaks in heavy rain or high winds. For this reason, climbing rose bushes must be grown along a vertical surface, which provides a wind break as well as sturdy support. In addition to maintaining the rose's health, a rose covered trellis provides a beautiful addition to any garden.
Things you need
- Trellis bracket
- Gardening tape
- Masonry anchor
Dig a 15 cm (6 inch) deep trench behind the base of the climbing rose bush using a shovel. The trench should be approximately 15 cm (6 inches) away from the bush and long enough to extend 5 to 7.5 cm (2 to 3 inches) past either side of the rose bush.
Insert the bottom of the trellis into the trench and pack soil down into the trench using your hands to hold the trellis in place.
Anchor the trellis to the wall or fence using trellis brackets. Trellis brackets hook around the trellis and insert into the fence or wall via a screw and screwdriver. Install the trellis anchors midway up the trellis and approximately 30 cm (1 foot) apart along the length of the trellis.
Cut a 15 cm (6 inch) piece of gardening tape using scissors.
Loop the two loose ends of the gardening tape from the back of the trellis so that the loose ends are located near the rose.
Wrap the two ends around the stem of one of the rose stalks. Tie the ends in a knot to secure the stalk in place. The gardening tape should form a loose loop. It should not be tied tightly against the rose.
Continue tying 15 cm (6 inch) pieces of gardening tape around each of the rose canes and securing them to the trellis.
Tips and warnings
- If the climbing rose bush is already against a wall, leave a 5 cm (2 inch) gap between the trellis and the wall to allow for proper air circulation.
- If the wall behind the trellis is made of brick or masonry, you must insert a masonry wall anchor before attaching the screw for the trellis bracket.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for