There are many different kinds of dolls out there, but let's face it--people come in more shapes, sizes and styles than dolls ever will, and this can pose a challenge if you want to have a doll who really represents you. Your chances of finding a Daring Dreads Barbie are pretty slim, but never fear! With some creativity and simple tools, you can change your doll's look and hair to be as unique as your own.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Boiling water
- Blow dryer
- Fine-tooth comb
- Styling gel
Find out what type of hair your doll has. Most will have plastic or synthetic hair, and as such, you'll want to avoid bringing it in contact with extreme heat (such as a curling iron). Some dolls will have nylon hair, which is still durable enough for the hot water technique.
Wet the doll's hair with the boiling hot water to relax it from whatever hairstyle it had been in previously.
Use the blow dryer until the hair is mostly dry.
Take a section of hair and use the fine-tooth comb to backcomb: hold the hair up, and on the underside close to the scalp, run the comb through the section of hair toward the head rather than away from it. This will create a knotted "cushion" that gives the hair volume.
Smooth the top of the backcombed hair to even out the fibres. Make sure you're only smoothing down the top layer, not undoing the knots you just made.
Apply the styling gel to the section of hair, coating it evenly, and twirl the section around into a twist.
Use the blow dryer on the twirled section, applying gentle heat to lock in the gel.
Repeat steps 4 through 7 for the rest of your doll's hair to complete the dreadlock look.
Tips and warnings
- If you mess up or don't like the look of something, more hot water will wash the gel out.
- Backcombing doll hair isn't quite the same as backcombing human hair, and it will be difficult to remove. Still, with enough patience and conditioner, you should be able to work the knots out if you decide to change your doll's style again.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for