Decorate a mailbox for a wedding couple's gift table to hold cards and monetary gifts so they don't get lost. Cardboard mailboxes that look like real mailboxes are available with a slot on top, and are an inexpensive alternative to the real thing. Real metal mailboxes that meet the postal guidelines can serve as a card holder during the wedding, and a personalised mailbox or keepsake for the couple after the wedding.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Mailbox (cardboard or metal)
- Primer (optional)
- Paint and supplies
- Stencils (optional)
- Sealant (optional)
- Decorations (flowers, faux stones, etc.)
Prep the mailbox for decorating. For a metal mailbox, clean the box with a damp towel to remove any dust or debris. If the box is not the colour you want it to be, use a metal primer and paint. For a cardboard box, assemble the mailbox (if necessary) and paint the entire box the base colour of your choice.
Draw a design onto the mailbox that coordinates with the wedding theme, hearts, flowers or simply use the couple's monogram. Draw the design freehand or use stencils.
Paint the design onto the mailbox. Use the wedding colours, if possible, so the mailbox can also add to the wedding decor. Allow the paint to completely dry.
Seal the design with a protective coat if the mailbox will be used outside. Choose exterior-grade paints and sealants for maximum protection from the weather and rust.
Embellish the mailbox with silk flowers, faux gemstones, pearls, lace, seashells or any other accessories that complement the wedding theme and your design. Secure the embellishments with hot glue. If you want to embellish a mailbox for the couple to use outdoors later, consider decorating a removable cover for the couple to save as a keepsake.
Tips and warnings
- Place a couple of envelopes or cards in the open mailbox so that guests know the purpose of this decoration.
- Avoid covering the slot or door so guests can leave cards.
- Do not allow children to use a hot glue gun.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for