Decorate your living room using a citron colour scheme if you want a bright, airy room that reminds you of a summer's day. Just a hint of citron colour will pop in a neutral, contemporary living room. Citron is a bright yellow-green colour, found in the colouring of some citrus fruit. This is a bold colour that can serve as an accent in various themes or as the staple colour for a bold result.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Window treatments
Paint the walls white for a contemporary style using citron accents. Alternatively, choose citron paint. It is bold and adds an open, cheerful feel to a room. If you like the idea of citron walls but don't want to commit to an entire yellow room, paint one wall citron as an accent wall.
Furnish the room with pieces that complement the citron colour scheme. White or light, neutral colours don't compete with citron, yet still contribute to a bright, fresh ambience. Wood pieces should also complement the style. Dark wood adds contrast and interest. White sofas and chairs can easily be dressed up with citron accessories. Or, choose a white and citron fabric pattern. A compromise is to use a white sofa with a citron accent chair.
Add pillows, window treatments and a rug. Mix different citron patterns in the fabric for a visually interesting arrangement, or use solid citron fabrics to add zest to an all white modern room. Break up the colours with patterns in stripes, geometric or floral patterns. Drape a citron-coloured throw over a white chair or sofa for interest.
Place accessories around the room. Hang pictures or artwork that complement the furniture and work with your citron colour scheme. If most of the room is white, or another neutral colour, add pops of bright citron with accessories such as candles, lamps, vases, picture frames or other decor. For example, place a white bowl or vase on the coffee table and fill it with citrus fruit (faux or real).
Tips and warnings
- Citron works well with neutral colours, such as white and light grey. It can also work with different shades of green, red, blue and pink due to the contrast.
- Avoid overpowering the room with too much citron. The bright colour can easily take over in smaller spaces without other colours breaking it up, which can overwhelm your guests rather than induce a happy, cheerful atmosphere.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for