Work at home typist positions vary and include transcription, writing, or data entry. Someone who types well may prefer one position but could qualify for all if they possess fast typing skills and knowledge of spelling, grammar and formatting documents.
Research the different types of typing jobs. Transcription positions are the most common. Most often, it requires listening to a voice recording or filling in forms or formatted pages with collected date. Some positions may require transcribing from handwritten documents. Transcription, writing, data entry and taking surveys also may be well suited to great typists.
Compose a resume that highlights your typing speed and interest in the particular job type (transcription, writing, data entry). Write a cover letter summarising these skills and interests.
Research potential jobs that fit within your desired job description as written in the resume or cover letter. Places to look for home-based jobs may include RatRaceRebellion.com, WorkPlaceLikeHome.com or other websites with work at home information.
Send copies of your resume and cover letter to local businesses. It is best to deliver the information by hand to discuss directly with potential employers the benefits of hiring a work at home typist. Make it clear that you intend to do the work from your own home office.
Target businesses like lawyers' offices, doctors' offices and marketing agencies. Visiting your local Chamber of Commerce may reveal more networking opportunities. Describe how your services can save these companies money.
Continue checking resources online and networking with local businesses. If you already work as a typist, talk with your boss about doing the work from home.
- Use work at home resources to find new leads for work at home jobs. Ask others who already work from home how they found their employers.
- Always avoid paying for a job. Research a position before signing any contract or giving your personal information.
Tips and Warnings
- Use work at home resources to find new leads for work at home jobs.
- Ask others who already work from home how they found their employers.
- Always avoid paying for a job.
- Research a position before signing any contract or giving your personal information.