If you notice droppings or see holes chewed through food packaging, mice or rats likely got into your home. Although mice and rats generally won't bother you, they can carry diseases that can contaminate your home. They may also chew into papers, wood and furniture to build nests. There are a variety of commercial products available to deter mice and rats from entering your home. Many of these products contain toxic chemicals that may be harmful to your family. Opt for a homemade rat and mice repellent for a safe, effective way to keep these rodents out of your house.
Saturate several cotton balls with peppermint oil.
Place the cotton balls in places where the mice have been known to go.
Change the cotton balls after a couple of days, replacing them with fresh ones. Peppermint leaves may be laid around as a substitute for the peppermint oil.
Fill a bucket with 1 gallon of water. Add 1 tbsp hot sauce and ¼ cup dish soap to the bucket.
Stir the ingredients thoroughly with a long-handled spoon. Transfer a portion of the mixture into an empty spray bottle.
Spray the mixture onto floors, countertops and other areas where mice and rats have been known to go. Store the remaining mixture in a container with a lid.
Fill several small dishes with ammonia. You can use plastic soda bottle caps for a disposable container.
Place the containers of ammonia in areas where the mice and rats go. If you have small children or pets, do not place the ammonia containers where they can get to them.
Leave the ammonia containers in the area for several days. The mice and rats will not drink the ammonia; rather, the smell of the ammonia alone will keep them away.
Purchase a powdered fox urine product. Such products can be found at most home and garden centres. Fox urine is non-toxic and natural.
Sprinkle the perimeter of the exterior of the house with the powder. Apply a liberal coating, and sprinkle around the perimeter of the lawn as well.
Apply the powder twice weekly for the first two weeks. Apply the powder once a month thereafter.
Although the products listed above are less toxic than most commercial rat and mice repellents, they should still be kept out of reach of children and pets.
Tips and warnings
- Although the products listed above are less toxic than most commercial rat and mice repellents, they should still be kept out of reach of children and pets.