Mothballs are known for their ability to kill moths, eggs and larvae, but they also do well to ward off mice, snakes and spiders. To use mothballs as spider repellents, you'll want to work carefully because mothballs are a pesticide that evaporates into the air where you, pets, children and other family members will also be breathing it. With mothballs in the appropriate location, you can keep spiders away for as long as six months.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Glass mason jars with metal lids
- Hammer and nails
Plan where you think you need to use the mothballs. Basements where pets and children are not allowed can be OK, as well as attics, storage sheds or small outbuildings.
Use the hammer and nail to pierce three to four holes into the lid of the jar. Repeat this for as many jars as you think you'll need.
Read the directions and warnings on the package of the mothballs before using, as the product is extremely hazardous. You'll need to avoid contact with the skin, eyes, and mouth, and do not inhale the fumes of the mothballs.
Place two to three mothballs in the jar with gloved hands and close the lid tightly. Continue to add mothballs to each jar with a prepared lid.
Set the filled and sealed jars in the locations you determined in Step 1. The jars, if possible, should be tucked away where children or pets can't get to them, yet easy for you to reach.
Tips and warnings
- Many times spiders help keep other pests away, so be sure you truly want the spiders gone before you keep away such an efficient natural predator.
- While it is common practice to use mothballs for multiple purposes, the packaging states that it is unlawful to use mothballs for anything other than its intended purpose.
- If you are noticing the smell of mothballs in your home, that means you are breathing in the pesticide. Reduce the number of mothballs in your jars or move them to a location farther away from the home to see if that helps, or use another method to keep spiders away.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for