An All Terrain Vehicle, commonly called an ATV, can take a beating even during normal riding. Fenders can easily become scuffed, scratched, dinged and everything in between. Even the sun can play havoc on an original factory fresh paint job as the UV rays dull the colour. There are some special requirements that need to be done before you can begin painting any ATV bumper.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Dish soap
- Fresh water hose
- Sandpaper--180 grit, 400 grit and 600 grit
- Plastic primer
- Plastic paint, such as Krylon Fusion
Mix dish soap in a bucket with fresh water.
Sponge on the dishwater mix over the fenders and clean them of any grease, oil, dirt and debris. They need to be completely clean and free of any oil or grease. Rinse with plenty of fresh water and allow the fenders to dry fully.
Sand the fenders lightly with 180 grit sandpaper. Washing will get the top dirt off, but any baked on crust will be removed by sanding.
Smooth out the fenders by sanding first with 400 grit sandpaper and then sanding with 600 grit paper.
Wash the fenders again to remove all plastic particles. Rinse and, again, allow the fenders to dry fully.
Spray on a plastic primer, sometimes known as a plastic adhesion coat. Put on two coats and allow each coat to dry fully before covering it with another coat.
Spray on your plastic spray. Work slowly and carefully making sure to cover the entire area. Ideally, apply three or four thin coats of paint and allow them to dry fully between coats.
Tips and warnings
- Krylon Fusion is one of the easiest plastic paints to use. Although the company says that no preparation is needed, for the best looking painted fenders, preparation will always make the finished paint job look better.
- Other plastic paints are available, but they are a bit more labour intensive. Preparation is critical for some of them, and many will recommend a topcoat or sealer once the painting is finished. Professional plastic paints are also a viable option, and although you'll need an airbrush to apply them, they will give you excellent results.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for