WWAN, which stands for Wireless Wide Area Network, is a wireless Internet network that uses cell phone technology to give you Internet access. Some netbooks and laptops are sold with built-in WWAN capabilities. If your laptop doesn't have WWAN capability, you can add it with a USB mobile broadband modem from one of the major cell phone carriers.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- USB mobile broadband modem
Check with your cell phone provider to see if it offers any USB mobile broadband modems. If you do not have a cell phone provider, you can find these USB modems at both Sprint and Verizon Wireless.
Order a USB mobile broadband modem from a cell phone provider. For best results, choose a provider with a large 3G network. This gives you the best high-speed service for your laptop. You also must pick a data plan for your modem.
Insert your USB mobile broadband modem into one of the USB ports on your laptop. Typically, you do not have to install any software.The first time you insert the USB mobile broadband modem, you will get a set-up screen where you must enter in the phone number associated with the modem.
Tips and warnings
- Anywhere you have cell phone service, you can get WWAN Internet access through your USB mobile broadband modem.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for