Toshiba manufactures LED and LCD televisions in a variety of styles and sizes ranging from 15 inches to over 40 inches. While Toshiba's screen configurations and control mechanisms make greatly enhance the viewing experience, they also exaggerate picture and sound problems and can be expensive if they require professional repair. While problems may be more than you can handle on your own, before setting off for the repair shop, first try troubleshooting a Toshiba television for free by doing it yourself.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Toshiba owner manual
- Connector cables (optional)
Locate the "Mute" button on the Toshiba remote control and press it once. If the television is set to "Mute," this will turn it off and restore normal sound.
Check volume levels on both the television and cable box, if you use one.
Troubleshoot Sound Problems
Unplug the television and plug in into an alternate outlet. If the television turns on, the problem is with the outlet and not the television.
Change the batteries in your remote control.
Clear memory and cycle the power unit if the Toshiba does not respond to pressing buttons on the remote control or television control panel. To clear memory and cycle the power unit, press and hold the "Power" button on the Toshiba television control panel for five seconds and then release.
Troubleshoot Power Problems
Check connector cables and ensure connections are secure. Consider replacing connector cables that came with your Toshiba television with higher quality cables. Quality does affect performance and upgrading connector cables can improve picture quality. See your owner manual for recommendations based on the Toshiba model you own.
Adjust colour temperatures. Toshiba uses the colour temperatures warm, medium and cool to set colour tones. Warm produces red tones, medium produces neutral tones, and cool produces blue tones. To adjust colour temperature, access the "Video" on-screen set up mode by pressing the "Menu" button on the Toshiba remote control to. Select "Picture Settings," "Advanced Settings," and then "Color Temperature." Select the colour temperature using the up and down buttons on the Toshiba remote and adjust by pressing the left and right buttons.
Remove black bars from the top or sides of the screen by setting the "Picture Size" button on the remote control to a "Wide Mode" setting. Black bars can occur when viewing a television program recorded in a standard, versus high definition mode.
Troubleshoot Picture Problems
Tips and warnings
- If you are experiencing problems with fluctuating sound, keep in mind that television programs sometimes broadcast at lower levels than commercials. Adjust volume levels to compensate for the difference.
- If the Toshiba remote control is not working with a specific auxiliary device, such as a DVD player, the device may not be compatible with a Toshiba remote. In this case, you will need to use the remote included with the auxiliary device.
- Avoid touching television screen with your fingers, as oily fingerprints are difficult to remove. Use a damp cloth to clean the screen and dry thoroughly with a second cloth.
- Never take a Toshiba television apart when troubleshooting and making repairs, as you run the risk of electric shock and will void any remaining warranty still in place.
- If you cannot diagnose the problem or if these troubleshooting techniques do not work, either contact the Toshiba Solution Center at 800-631-3811 or take the television in for professional repair.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for