Purchasing trousers can be confusing if you do not understand how to convert pant sizes to inches. This can be especially important if you purchase clothing by mail or over the Internet. Because you do not want to make mistakes in sizing and purchase clothing that does not fit, take time to convert pant sizes prior to buying your clothes.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Tape measure
Measure around your waist with a tape measure and write down the measurement. Round this measurement up to the nearest 1/2 inch.
Measure around your hips at the largest point with the tape measure and write this measurement down. Round this measurement up to the nearest half inch.
Compare your measurements from Steps 1 and 2 to a sizing chart. Size 2 trousers fit waists of 24 inches and hips of 34.5 inches. Size 4 trousers fit waists of 25 inches and hips of 35.5 inches. Size 6 trousers fit waists of 26 inches and hips of 36.5 inches. Size 8 trousers fit waists of 27 inches and hips of 37.5 inches. Size 10 trousers fit waists of 28 inches and hips of 38.5 inches. Size 12 trousers fit waists of 29.5 inches and hips of 40 inches. Size 14 trousers fit waists of 31 inches and hips of 41.5 inches. Size 16 trousers fit waists of 32.5 and hips of 43 inches.
Tips and warnings
- If you fall between sizes, purchase the next larger size for best results.
- To size men's trousers, simply measure around the waist and compare this to the numerical sizing of men's trousers. For example, if a man's waist measures 34 inches, purchase trousers with a 34-inch waist. Measure a man's inseam (from the crotch to the point where the trousers extend at the bottom) and purchase trousers with the corresponding inseam measurement.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for