White shoes can be challenging to clean. Washing the shoes in a washing machine will often not remove all of the dirt and stains, and the dryer with set in yellow stains. Instead of washing the white shoes in your laundry room, you can wash them by hand to remove the dirt and debris from the shoes to prevent yellow marks from drying on them.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Old newspapers
- Mild detergent
- Thick towel
- Soft bristled brush
Remove the laces from the shoes. Set the laces off to the side, or throw them away if you plan to replace them.
Place old newspapers inside the shoes. Stuff the shoes with newspaper to hold their shape to make it easier to clean them.
Fill a sink with mild detergent and water. Agitate the water to form suds.
Place a thick towel beside the sink.
Hold the white shoe over the water. Dip a soft bristled brush into the water, and scrub the surface of the shoe. Continue to dip the scrub brush into the water until you remove all the dirt.
Remove the newspapers from the shoes. Throw the newspapers away.
Rinse the shoe off with clean water. Dampen a washcloth and wipe the shoe down with clean water. Place the shoe on top of the towel. Wrap the sides of the towel around the shoe to remove excess water.
Repeat the process for the other white shoe. Pat the shoes dry with the towel.
Sit the shoes out at room temperature. Allow them to air dry completely before you wear them again.
Tips and warnings
- Add a small capful of bleach to the water for heavily soiled shoes. You will need to dilute the bleach with 1 gallon of water. Use a dye-free bleach to avoid yellow stains on the shoes, and make sure you rinse the shoes off with clean water after applying the bleach solution.
- Combine an equal amount of baking soda and water to create a paste. Place the paste on the stain and allow it to dry. Scrub the dried paste off the shoe to remove any yellow stains present on your shoes.
- Apply a white shoe polish to keep the shoes white.
- Wear gloves when handling bleach products. Never add ammonia to bleach because it produces harmful fumes.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for