Quikrete Concrete Sealer is an easy-to-apply liquid coating that can help protect driveways, patios, sidewalks and other concrete surfaces from moisture and staining. The sealant also helps beautify concrete by creating a smooth, even finish that will resist oil, dirt, salt and many other potentially harmful substances. Because Quikrete Concrete Sealer is water-based and acrylic, it is also generally safe for household use and easy and quick to apply.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Quikrete Wet Look Sealer (or similar Quikrete sealant)
- Paint brush or roller
- Sponge or cloth
- Garden sprayer (optional)
Inspect the concrete. Note any large or dark stains, as well as areas of significant damage, where the concrete may be chipped, flaking or crumbling.
Prepare the surface. Remove or repair any badly damaged areas you discovered in step 1, and make sure the entire surface is clean and dry. If necessary, use a commercial concrete and asphalt cleansing product to remove tough stains or thoroughly clean the entire surface.
Apply the sealant. Use a paint brush or roller to apply the sealant evenly over the surface. Variations in the texture and porousness of the surface may require you to use more or less sealant in different places, but try to apply a uniform coat.
Wipe surface. Use a sponge or cloth to clean up any excess sealant that pools on the surface after you have applied your initial coat.
Check the first coat. Let the surface dry for two hours, and then check it to see if the coverage seems adequate. For more porous surfaces or an especially glossy finish, you can repeat steps 3 and 4 to apply a second coat.
Tips and warnings
- For newly poured concrete, wait at least 30 days before applying the sealant.
- Check whether the surface to be sealed is sufficiently porous by sprinkling a few drops of water onto it. If the surface absorbs the water, the sealant should work well on it.
- For large, level areas, you may be able to save time and effort by applying the sealant with a garden sprayer.
- Do not use Quikrete Concrete Sealer if your work area is expected to experience rain, heavy humidity or temperatures lower than 10 degrees Celsius within a day after application.
- If the sealant causes any skin irritation, wash with soap and water and avoid further contact.
- If you accidentally get any sealant in your eyes, nose or mouth, thoroughly rinse the area with water and seek immediate medical attention.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for