One alternative to using scissors when cutting hair is the use of clippers. Clippers are usually an electric instrument with a small comb-like attachment that cuts hair when turned on. Clippers are best for short hair and should only be used on dry hair. Clippers can add texture to a haircut by varying the length of the hair that is cut. Always ask a hair care professional for tips and techniques.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
Place one of the attachments on the hair clipper. Start with the hair on the sides of the head.
Move clippers in the direction of hair growth. Use a comb to hold your hair in place.
Create sections of hair with a comb that are half the length of the clippers to avoid clogging the razor.
Alternate the current clipper attachment with an attachment that has a different length every third or fourth hair section. Use each attachment for a few sections and then switch again. Note that the smaller comb attachments will create shorter lengths, while larger comb attachments will create longer lengths.
Continue clipping the hair around the back of the head, working your way down towards the neck. Remember to alternate attachments as you work.
To trim the hair at the base of the neck, use the clippers straight down and create a straight line.
Tips and warnings
- You may wish to have a friend help you, particularly with the hair on the back of the head. Mirrors will also help.
- If possible, use a texturing attachment for your clipper. These are available at most beauty supply stores or through the manufacturer of the clipper. If you have a texturing attachment, you will not need to rotate with other attachments.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for