"Program Not Responding - Rundll32.exe" is not an unusual message to see if a virus has infected your computer, or if the remnants of an improperly uninstalled software still remain on your drive. This error most commonly appears when attempting to restart or shut down the computer. To work around this error, you must temporarily disable the service or program using rundll32.exe, then run utility software to repair the issue.
- Skill level:
Click "Start," then "Run," or click "Start," "All Programs," "Accessories," then "Run," depending on your operating system. Type "msconfig" into the dialogue box, then hit "Enter" to launch System Configuration.
Select the "Startup" tab. Expand the "Command" field and search for "rundll32.exe."
Uncheck the box next to any start-up item in the list containing "rundll32.exe" in its Command field.
Click "OK." Press "Esc," "Shift" and "Ctrl" simultaneously. Select the "Processes" tab when Windows Task Manager appears.
Click the "Description" tab, then search for a process with the same name as the start-up item you disabled previously.
Right-click the item, then select "End Process." Click "End Process" again. Restart your computer.
Press "F8" before the OS start-up screen appears, then select "Safe Mode" from the list of options. Hit "Enter" to enter Windows Safe Mode.
Run your antivirus and a registry repair software to remove any viruses, malware or registry errors from your PC. Restart your computer.
Relaunch System Configuration. Check the box next to all of the start-up items you disabled. Click "OK" and restart your computer.
Tips and warnings
- Disabling start-up items can cause system instability. Do not make any changes to your system without first backing up your system settings.
- Do not delete or disable any Windows processes. Enter the name of the start-up item in a search engine, if necessary, to confirm that the file is not a Windows process.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for