One way to save some money is to refill your Canon MP500 cartridges using an inkjet refill kit. But this introduces another problem: Getting your Canon printer to recognise the refilled cartridges. Canon cartridges contain a chip that relays a signal indicating the ink level and status of the cartridge. To get a refilled ink cartridge to work in your Canon MP500, you have to override both the cartridge and the printer.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Install the refilled ink cartridge(s), if you haven't done so already.
Click "Start," "Control Panel" and "Printers and Faxes."
Right-click on the Canon MP500 icon. Select "Properties." The Canon MP500 Properties dialogue box will open.
Click on the "Maintenance" tab.
Click on the "Cleaning Head" utility icon to start the ink cartridge/printhead cleaning process. A message indicating the ink cartridge is empty will appear after the cleaning utility runs.
Press the "Stop/Reset" button on the front of your Canon MP500 for five seconds.
Release the "Stop/Reset" button. Your Canon MP500 and the refilled cartridge's ink indicator is now bypassed and the cartridge will work.
Tips and warnings
- When the refilled cartridge runs out of ink, your Canon MP500 will not inform you of the cartridge's empty status. You will notice the ink getting faint before it totally runs out.
- Refill the cartridge before it is completely empty to keep from damaging the internal components of the cartridge.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for