Selecting the perfect formal dress for a special occasion can be difficult process. Many styles prove too revealing once you try them on. Perhaps the gown is strapless, has a plunging neckline, low or open back or displays thin spaghetti straps. Yet, if you really like the colour and style of the dress, you can make it more modest without altering the gown.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Bolero jacket, shawl or wrap
- Large pendant necklace
Wear a camisole that coordinates with the fabric and colour of the formal gown, if the gown features a plunging neckline or a low or open back. Look for a cami that is constructed of the same or similar fabric as the gown for best results.
Wear a bolero jacket, shawl, wrap or shrug over formal dresses that are strapless or show too much cleavage, shoulder or back for your comfort. Pick these items in a coordinating colour or similar fabric for the best look.
Wear your hair down, instead of in an up-do. If you have hair that is longer than shoulder-length, this can help cover up some of the bare shoulder area and make your gown appear more modest.
Tips and warnings
- If you or someone you know has sewing abilities, you may be able to add a band of material to the top of your strapless or spaghetti-strapped formal gown to make it less revealing. The style and material of the gown will dictate whether or not this can be done.
- Display a large, yet tasteful, eye-catching necklace with a pendant to draw attention upward and away from a deep neckline.
- Some wraps or shawls can be restricting. Consider this if you are going to engage in any dancing at the event you will attend.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for