Silicone glue is known for its durability and holding power and is commonly used for gluing glass. But its strength as a bonding agent can be more of a hindrance than a help when trying to remove it. Fresh silicone glue that has not dried onto glass surfaces can easily be wiped off with a damp rag. Once the silicon adhesive has dried, however, it is not quite as easy to remove. Removing silicone glue from glass can be tricky, but it is possible if the proper products and methods are implemented.
Soften the glue prior to trying to remove it. Hold a hair dryer about 6 inches from the glue-stained glass until the glue begins to soften.
Gently scrape off as much of the glue from the glass as possible using a straightedge blade or craft knife. Reapply heat from the hair dryer to soften the glue if it begins to reharden.
Apply ethyl alcohol to the glass to remove more of the silicone glue. Pour the alcohol directly onto the silicon-stained area of the glass, and allow it to set on the glass for several minutes.
Use the straightedge blade or craft knife to pry up more glue. Apply more alcohol as needed.
Pour white spirit on the silicone glue as an alternative method for removal. Let the white spirit soak on the glass for several minutes. Scrape away the glue with a straightedge blade or craft knife.
Apply Naphtha to the glass as a last resort for removing silicon glue. Naphtha is a solvent sold at most home improvement centres. It is the main ingredient in most lighter fluids and is highly flammable. Pour the solvent onto the silicon glue. Allow it to set for about five minutes. Scrape away the glue with a straightedge blade or craft knife.
Wash the glass with a rag and soapy water after using any removal product. This will remove the solvent as well as any residue from the silicone glue.
Use extreme caution when using Naphtha. In addition to being flammable, it may cause skin and eye irritation and is harmful if inhaled or absorbed into the skin.
Tips and warnings
- Use extreme caution when using Naphtha. In addition to being flammable, it may cause skin and eye irritation and is harmful if inhaled or absorbed into the skin.