Most bed canopies are incorporated as part of the full bed kit and are therefore easy to attach. If you want to add an independent canopy kit to your existing bed, you'll have to take some extra steps. These instructions are for adding a wood canopy kit to a wood bed frame, but the principles can be adapted to other materials without too much difficulty.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Bed canopy kit
- Power drill
- Drill bits at long as the width of your bedposts
- Wood screws, 4 inches long
- Measuring tape
Measure the diameter of both your bed posts and the posts for your canopy.
Confirm that your drill bit and screws are long enough to work with that width. If not, you'll need to acquire longer equipment from your home improvement centre.
Drill pilot holes in each of your bed posts using a drill bit 1/8 inch narrower than the diameter of your wood screws. Drill holes 2 inches and 4 inches from the bottom of the bed post, and 2 inches and 4 inches from the top of the bed post. The holes should all run in the same direction, parallel to the end of your bed.
Drill countersink holes on the inside end of each pilot hole using a drill bit 1/8 inch wider than the diameter of the heads of your screws. Drill the hole in approximately 1/2 inch, enough to sink the unsightly screw heads out of sight.
Set up the posts for your canopy, laying them flush along their corresponding bed posts.
Pass a screw through each pilot hole and press into the canopy post, marking the spot to drill.
Drill a pilot hole at each appropriate point on the canopy posts. Use the same drill bit you did for the other pilot holes, drilling 1 inch or halfway into the posts, whichever is shallower.
Set the canopy posts back up. Use the power drill to screw the posts in place.
Finish assembling the canopy once the posts are securely attached.
Tips and warnings
- If you like, you can fill the countersink holes with carpenter's putty and paint over the plug to match your bed post. This process is quick and easy if you have the right paint or stain. It does, however, add a substantial challenge to disassembling the canopy later on.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for