It is possible to extract silver from silver plated objects. You may wish to do this if the silver on the object is faded or damaged and needs to be replaced, or if you want to replate it with a different type of metal. Whatever the reason, take precautions to ensure your safety while undertaking this process as it can be dangerous.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Eye protection
- Rubber apron
- Sulphuric acid
- Nitric acid
- Copper wire
- Hood vent
Put on safety equipment.
Combine three parts sulphuric acid and one part nitric acid. The amount needed will depend on how big the object is. You might try testing the process first by using only ounces.
Place over heat to a temperature of around 80 degrees Celsius.
Suspend the object by a copper wire, which will not be damaged by the acid.
Hold the object by the wire and dip it into the acid for a few seconds until the silver is removed.
Rinse the object several times.
Dry off the water with sawdust.
Tips and warnings
- This is a very dangerous process that can kill if not done properly. It is best to get someone with chemical experience, such as a chemistry teacher, to help you.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for