If you enjoy making your own art pieces for your home, you may occasionally feel limited by the standard sizes offered for photo prints. With all the options digital photography and photo editing present, you may want to make a photo creation in an unusual size. Fortunately, editing software makes this fairly easy to do. Even if you don't have the capability to print the images yourself, you can use editing software to prepare a photo for printing at a local store and trim it to an odd size afterward.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Digital photos
- Photo editing software
- Printer (optional)
- Scissors or paper cutter
Determine whether or not your photo is actually an unusual size. Some typical photo sizes are wallet, 3.5 by 5, 4 by 6, 5 by 7, 8 by 10, 10 by 13, 11 by 14, 16 by 20, 20 by 24 and 20 by 30. If your photo fits into one of these size categories, you should be able to find a place that will print it.
Open your photo editing software and set the canvas to the standard size that is closest to what you will be printing without cutting off any of the photo. For example, if you want to print an 8 by 14 photo, you would set your canvas to the 11 by 14 size.
Use the paint bucket or colour fill-in tool on your software and fill in the blank space around the photo with a solid colour. It doesn't matter what colour you choose since you will just be cutting this space off later.
Have prints of the photo made at your favourite photo development shop, or make them yourself if you have access to a printer that is capable of printing the size you desire.
Trim off the excess blank space by hand with scissors or by using a paper cutter or trimmer.
Tips and warnings
- If you wish to use the blank space around the photo, you can choose a colour that complements your photo and use it like a digital mat board rather than a filler.
- The blank space around the photo must be filled with a solid colour, because some printing places will automatically try to crop a photo to fit a standard size if it does not take up the entire canvas. Filling in the blank space ensures that this will not happen.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for