Perler beads, small, plastic, tube-shaped beads which are fused together with an iron, are great for making arts and crafts projects. It's easy to make a set of charming coasters with perler beads, and they are perfect for using around the house, and also make wonderful, easy-to-personalise gifts.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Perler beads
- Perler beads peg board
- Waxed paper
Coasters can be made in an infinite variety of patterns, designs, and colours. Special pattern templates can be downloaded from Perlerbeads.com, but make sure to stick to designs that are size-appropriate for coasters. It's easy to design patterns as well, or choose a theme, like team colours, to make coasters suited for a special day.
Place the beads onto a pegboard, forming the selected design or pattern. If making coasters for a special occasion, be sure to have ample time to construct each one, as the beads must be placed on the pegboard piece by piece, so creating intricate designs can take a while. Peg boards come in many shapes and sizes, so select one best suited to the coaster design concept; a star- or heart-shaped coaster can be a fun diversion from typical squares.
When the desired coaster has been designed and constructed on the pegboard, place a sheet of ironing paper over the beads and use an iron on a medium heat setting to melt and fuse them, running it over the pattern for about 10 seconds in a circular motion. Parents should assist their children when using the iron to prevent injury.
When the beads have been treated by the iron, peel off the ironing paper and remove the coaster from the pegboard. Next, set it (with the non-melted side face up) on the ironing board, place the paper on top, and iron for an additional 10 seconds.
Tips and warnings
- Make coasters for special events, like the Olympics or Superbowl.
- Let all of your guests take home their special coaster after a party.
- Make coasters with friends as a fun activity at your next get-together.
- If kids are making the perler bead coasters, an adult should handle the ironing so as to prevent burns and injuries.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for