Water damage to a wall can be caused by a flood, a roof leaking or a busted pipe. Whatever the cause of the water damage, one thing is certain: You need to dry it out as soon as possible to keep the chance of mould and mildew growing to a minimum. Mold and mildew will not only ruin your wall, but they pose serious health risks for anyone who comes into contact with them.
Remove any pictures, paintings or other decorations hanging on the wall.
Remove the mouldings and baseboards to give the wall proper ventilation. If they are left on the wall, moisture will become trapped behind them, causing mould and mildew to grow.
Cut or drill a hole into the wall so water trapped behind the wall will drain out. Place a bucket near the hole to catch the water.
Remove and replace all water-damaged insulation.
Open all windows to allow fresh air to circulate and help dry the wall. Open closets and cabinet doors as well.
Use window fans to circulate fresh air around the room. Point box fans or oscillating fans towards the wall to help with the drying.
Run a dehumidifier to help remove moisture in the air.
Do not use heaters or air conditioners to dry the wall.
Tips and warnings
- Do not use heaters or air conditioners to dry the wall.
Things you need
- Box cutter or drill
- Window fans
- Box fans
- Oscillating fans