Babies love to look around at all interesting things in their new world. You can help to stimulate their senses by sewing a play mat for them. Different textures of fabric gets the baby's sense of touch going. You can even attach a few toys using fabric loops to keep them entertained as they grow older.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Sewing Machine
- Baby toys or mirror (optional)
Purchase or find small pieces of fabric in different textures. Be sure to get fuzzy, fluffy, smooth, rough or bumpy fabrics. You will only need small pieces, roughly six inches square. You can reuse a few fabrics throughout the play mat, if you wish.
Purchase a fabric to use for the back of the mat. The amount you will need depends on the size play mat you want to make.
Purchase quilt batting the size of the mat you are making.
Sew together the squares of fabric into the size and shape you want for the mat.
Lay the batting on the floor with the backing on top, facing up. Lay the top face down on the backing.
Sew around the edges, leaving a small section unsewn, so that you can turn the mat right side out.
Turn the mat right side out.
Hand sew the opening closed.
Tips and warnings
- You can sew ribbons to the edges to create a different texture and look to the mat. If you have small toys that have loops on them, consider hand-sewing them securely to the mat. The baby can play with the toys while they are attached.
- Find a baby toy mirror and put it in the mat. It helps if the mirror has a fabric edge around it. You can sew it directly to the mat by hand, or cut out a hole in the quilt top the size and shape of the mirror. Sew it in before adding the batting and backing on the mat.
- Choose many different colours and patterns of fabric, besides just different textures. Babies can easily see bold coloured patterns from an early age, and love stripes, polka dots and bold designs.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for