Borax and vinegar are both effective and natural cleaners. They can effectively eliminate mould in your home without the use of toxic chemicals. While borax can be toxic if ingested, it is safe to use around your home not only as a cleaner, but as a deodoriser, insecticide and herbicide. Vinegar has long been used to tackle various cleaning projects around the home. Be careful not to combine these two ingredients together; when used separately, they can eradicate and even help prevent mould in your home.
Mix one cup of borax in one gallon of water in a bucket. Set aside.
Vacuum up any loose mould with a vacuum containing a HEPA filter, which will help to prevent mould spores from becoming dislodged and floating around in the air.
Apply a borax and water mixture to the mould using a scrub brush. Brush the area completely. Wipe off any excess or dislodged mould. Allow to dry completely.
Pour some white distilled vinegar into a spray bottle. Spray the mould area, and let sit for at least an hour.
Rinse the mould area with clean water, and allow it to dry completely.
Spray the area again and rinse again with clean water to remove any residual mould spores. Wipe down with a clean cloth.
Don't rinse off the borax and water mixture. By letting it dry on the surface you can prevent future formation of mould. Spray vinegar on non-porous floors as well to kill mould. Spray the floors every couple of days to prevent the formation of mould.
Work in a well-ventilated area when working with vinegar and borax. Open windows or run a small fan to circulate the air.