The number lock, or NumLk, key on an IBM ThinkPad laptop can be turned off and on at will with a few simple keystrokes. For normal typing, you will want the NumLk key turned off or some letters of your keyboard will turn to numbers making for major misspellings. The NumLk key is turned on when doing work such as entering numbers into spreadsheet cells.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Locate the "NumLk" key on your particular IBM ThinkPad. It will be located near the "F" keys at the top of your keyboard.
Press the "Shift" key and the "NumLk" key at the same time. The status light for Number Lock on your light display should go out.
Alternately, press the "Fn" key and the "NumLk" key at the same time. It will depend on which IBM laptop you own which of these key combinations determines the off and on of the number lock. Turn the number lock back on any time it is needed by pressing the same buttons.
Tips and warnings
- If the above steps do not turn of the number lock key, run the version of PC Doctor supplied with your ThinkPad to insure that your keyboard is functioning correctly.
- Manuals, downloads and other support for your ThinkPad are available at the IBM/Lenovo website.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for