A wall-mounted ironing board is the best option for installing an ironing board inside a cabinet space that is open and clear of shelving. Wall-mounted ironing boards are designed to swivel so they can fit almost anywhere, providing flexibility and a good use of space. Make sure the cabinet door opens a full 180 degrees to give the ironing board space to extend out and twist at least 90 degrees when in use.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Wall-mounted ironing board
- Stud finder
- Measuring tape
- Drill with bits
Use a stud finder to find studs inside the cabinet where the wall-mounted ironing board will be hanging. Lightly mark the studs with a pencil.
Measure the height at which you want to use the ironing board. Typically waist-high or a bit higher is a comfortable height for ironing. Mark this measurement on the wall inside the cabinet, and use your level to make sure the screws will be fastened at the same height on both sides of the ironing board mounting mechanism.
Hold the ironing board up to the wall, considering the minimum height already marked, to mark the additional screws the mounting mechanism of the board will require and mark them with your pencil. Ideally some of these markings will fall on a stud to give the ironing board extra support.
Drill a hole in each of the marks assigned to the screws. Use a bit the same size as the screws.
Hold the ironing board in place and use a screwdriver to screw in each screw, fastening the board tightly to the wall. Test the clearance of the board once it is securely installed. Use the level to make sure the board is exactly level and parallel to the floor.
Tips and warnings
- Most wall-mounted ironing boards come with screws that will be needed for installation and a detailed set of specific instructions.
- Make sure there is an electrical socket for the iron close to the cabinet that will enclose the ironing board.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for