High Definition Media Interface (HDMI) is an audio-video connection for transmitting a digital signal from one electronic component to another, such as a computer to a TV. Newer computers equipped with HDMI ports offer high-definition connectivity for sterling picture and shimmering sound. The TV must also be equipped with an HDMI jack to play audio from the PC. Because HDMI also delivers video, the TV can also be used for viewing content from the PC.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- HDMI cable
Connect the six-sided plug on the HDMI cable to the HDMI OUT jack on the back of the computer and the HDMI IN jack on the back of the TV. The plug inserts with the wider side facing upward.
Turn on the computer, click the "Start" button and select the Control Panel. Then double-click on the icon for the HDMI port to use that connection for audio output.
Play back an audio source on the PC, such as a CD, digital audio file or Web content.
Turn on the TV and adjust the volume to the desired level.
Tips and warnings
- From the Control Panel, click the "Display" icon to adjust the settings for viewing video from the PC on the TV. The owner's manual for the television will detail the different resolution levels supported by the TV.
- Turn off the computer and TV while connecting the HDMI cable.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for