Suunto makes high quality watches that put a huge variety of information at your wrist any time you need it. Whether you need a compass, heart monitor, altimeter, or global positioning system, Suunto has got you covered in a watch that is also scratch and water resistant. The compass function of your Suunto watch offers you direction-finding help even when the GPS is off. To insure your compass is operating properly, you first need to set or calibrate it.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Suunto watch
Select "Compass" mode on your watch by pushing the "Up/Down" buttons until the "Compass" mode is reached. Press the "Enter" button.
Select "Calibrate" mode by pushing the "Up/Down" buttons until "Calibrate" is reached. Press the "Enter" button.
Hold your watch in a horizontal position and turn it in the direction of the pointers for 30 seconds.
Calibrate your watch again in the same fashion if the message "Failed" appears on your screen. The message "Complete" indicates the calibration is complete and your compass is ready to use.
Press "Enter" to return to the main screen after the calibration is finished.
Tips and warnings
- Set your Suunto compass declination if you want to set a particular direction other than magnetic north at the top. Select "Compass" mode on your watch. Select "Declination" (which is on the same menu as "Calibration"). Select "On" using the "Up/Down" buttons and press "Enter." Choose your desired direction by using the "Up/Down" buttons and press "Enter." Press "Enter" to return to the main compass screen.
- Your Suunto watch compass may need to be set or calibrated if the bearing is wrong, the bearing changes too sluggishly, or if the watch has been subjected to an intense magnetic field such as power lines or loud speakers. It is also a good idea to set your compass before you depart on an extended outdoor excursion.
- Your Suunto watch is designed for recreational purposes only. Do not rely on your Suunto if professional precision measurements are desired.
- Do not use your Suunto watch as your sole direction-finding means. Use maps, visual landmarks, and compasses in addition to your Suunto watch.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for