The Kindle is a device that allows users to purchase and read electronic books sold by Amazon. A useful feature of the device is the built-in wireless technology that allows books to be transferred to the device wirelessly after being purchased at the Amazon website. The wireless technology built into the Kindle is called Whispernet and uses a cellular broadband connection. Upon purchasing the Kindle, you can register the device with Amazon using Whispernet. If you are outside the Whispernet coverage area, the Kindle can be registered on a computer from the Amazon website.
- Skill level:
Open a web browser and navigate to the Amazon—Your Account page. Enter the email address and password for your Amazon account and click "Sign In."
Scroll to the bottom of the account page and click "Manage Your Kindle" in the Digital Content section under Digital Management.
Enter the Kindle serial number in the text box listed under Your Kindle(s) and click "Register a new Kindle." The serial number is 16 digits and is located on the back of the Kindle or on the box the Kindle arrived in.
Tips and warnings
- Use the Kindle Coverage Tool to check for Whispernet coverage in your area before purchasing a Kindle.
- Amazon also offers applications for Windows based computers and Apple iPhones for reading electronic books purchased for the Kindle.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for