Oatmeal is a popular addition to face lotions, creams and masks because it's an exfoliant that can help leave the skin feeling healthy and smooth. Oatmeal is gentle enough to use on your face but can also help remove tough, dried skin on the hands and feet. Many cosmetic and skin care companies make and sell skin products containing oatmeal. Oats, though, are inexpensive and readily available, so it's quite easy to make your own oatmeal skin cream at home.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Rolled oats
- Plain yoghurt
Pour equal parts rolled oats, plain yoghurt and honey into a bowl. You can make as much of the oatmeal skin cream as you want, but it's best to make small amounts and make more if you want to use the skin cream again.
Mix the oats, yoghurt and honey well until it reaches a paste-like consistency throughout the entire mixture. You can use a spoon or other utensil to mix it, but your hands will work just fine.
Apply the cream to your face or skin using your hands, working it into the skin thoroughly. It's a good idea to work skin creams and lotions into the skin using a circular motion.
Remove the cream from the skin using a washcloth soaked in warm water. If the cream was applied to the face, remove it from the forehead down, taking care to remove the cream in crevices around the eyes and nose.
Rinse your skin with warm water to remove any residual oatmeal skin cream.
Tips and warnings
- Use only rolled outs and avoid instant or flavoured oatmeal when making skin creams or masks.
- If you find the consistency of the skin cream is too rough on your skin, you can try grinding the oats into a powder in a coffee grinder or food processor.
- Oats can help soothe irritated skin and are a common home remedy for a variety of skin conditions. You can add colloidal oatmeal—oatmeal that has been ground into a powder—to a warm bath to help ease itchy, dry skin.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for