The traditional way of extracting oil from grape seeds involved pressing them in a manual wedge press. Today, pharmaceutical-grade extracts are often made by adding high heat and solvents to the method. Small wine producers and other companies apply steam distillation or cold pressing to extract oils from grape seeds before grinding. The process is organic and requires minimal heat and no chemicals. You also can make organic grapeseed extract for your personal use if you have a lot of grapes or a small vineyard, cold press and a grinder.
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Grape seeds
- Cold press machine
- Oil bottles
- Empty gel capsules
- Supplement bottles
Remove the seeds and skin of the grapes while making your grape juice or other grape product. If you are doing this by hand, use a strainer.
Wash the filtered grape extract thoroughly.
Put aside the extracted grape seeds and skin to dry for approximately 24 hours. During this time you can cook the seeds at a very low temperature. Cold pressing is an extraction process using minimal heat to extract oil from seeds. Heating the seeds slowly will also quicken the drying process.
Remove the excess oil and juices from the grape seeds and skin by adding the grape extracts to your cold press. Press the extracts until the oil visibly separates from the solids. Set aside and in time the oil will separate from the extracts even further.
Skim the remaining oil from the solids.
Save the pressed oil and preserve it in bottles for both therapeutic and culinary uses.
Separate the grape seeds from the remaining skin solids.
Dry the separated extracts to make them ready for grinding.
Start grinding. Grind both the dried seeds and skins separately in a grinding appliance. Grind extracts until they form a fine powder. Combine the powdered seed extract with the powdered skin extract unless you prefer separate supplements of both seed and skin extract.
Fill individual empty gelatin capsules with your powdered mixture. Large-size capsules are a good size to start with.
Preserve the capsules in a bottle and store in a cool location out of direct sunlight. Store powder in airtight bottles if you do not have gel caps.
Tips and warnings
- Buy grape seeds in bulk from wholesale suppliers. The dried grape seeds will be ready for cold pressing and grinding.
- Gelatin capsules are easy to use, come in varying sizes and can be found at many online health shops at affordable prices.
- Gelatin capsule ingredients consist of beef gelatin, glycerine and water. Suppliers often sell vegetable gel caps as well. Make sure you know which type you are buying if you are vegetarian.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for