As played by Carrie Fisher in the first "Star Wars" trilogy, Princess Leia has become a pop culture icon, a role model for young girls everywhere and perennial geek sex symbol. That makes her an ideal subject for a Halloween costume. Leia sported a number of looks throughout the trilogy (including a risqué gold metal bikini), but the go-to costume comes from the first film: a white imperial gown and the famous "cinnamon bun" hairstyle.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- "Star Wars" DVD
- hairspray (optional)
- hair pins (optional)
- wig (optional)
- white gown or white fabric
- white and silver belt (optional)
- aluminium (optional)
- white slippers
Watch the first "Star Wars" film ("Episode IV: A New Hope"), and pay careful attention to Leia's look and mannerisms. Besides the costume itself, you need to emulate Fisher's performance in order to really get into character.
Prepare the cinnamon bun hair style. The easiest way to achieve this is simply to buy a wig, which you can find at most costume-supply stores. If your hair is long, you can braid it into buns on either side. Part your hair in the middle, then wrap it around itself on either side of your head near the ears. Pin it together with hair clips, and use hairspray to hold the buns in place.
Find or craft a white robe, the principal element in Leia's costume. The robe is made of thin (yet not translucent) fabric, stretching from your ankles up to the mid-neck. The sleeves are flared at the forearms, while a white hood can be pulled up from the back. The rob should fit loosely around your body especially at the waist. Use a tube of fabric sized to your height, and try to keep the seams on the inside of the dress rather than the outside. (Alternately, you can purchase a Leia robe at a costume shop.)
Find a silver and white belt to cinch around your waist. Again, you can find one in a costume shop, or make one yourself by cutting a length of fabric from the same cloth used to create the dress and adorning it with three or four pieces of aluminium.
Purchase a pair of white slippers or low-heeled white boots to complete the look.
Tips and warnings
- If you like, you can also carry a replica of Leia's blaster--a long, thin weapon known as the DDC Defender in "Star Wars" lexicon. Official copies are expensive, but you can make a reasonable facsimile by purchasing a Jango Fett blaster and spray-painting it black.
- Since Leia sports a number of different looks, you can mix your costume up a bit to reflect a more personal style. (You may not be as readily recognised, however.)
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for