An A-line skirt is a skirt that slightly flares at the hem, generally resembling the letter "A." It's a flattering shape for most ages and body types and works well when worn with a business suit or a T-shirt. Its multitude of possibilities makes it an ideal garment to sew yourself. Choose a colour, print and fabric that suits your taste as almost any fabric works with this project.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Sewing pattern
- 2 yards fabric
- Matching thread
- Sewing machine
- 7- inch zipper
- 1 yard interfacing
- Hook and eye closure
Lay the pattern on the fabric and pin it to the fabric. Draw around the pattern with a pencil and remove the pattern.
Cut the fabric along the lines. You will have one front, two back and one waistband. Cut small slits no more than 1/4 inch deep in the top of the fabric to mark for the darts. You will have two darts on the front piece and one on each back piece.
Place the two back pieces together, right sides facing each other. Pin them together along the back seam. Sew the back seam using a straight stitch, from the bottom of the skirt to seven inches from the top. Iron the seam open.
Pin the closed zipper to the inside of the skirt, face down, over the opening in the back seam. Using a zipper foot, sew one-fourth inch around the zipper on the outside of the skirt.
Pin the front of the skirt to the back of the skirt, with right sides facing each other. Sew the front piece to the back piece along the side seams.
Pull the darts together, right sides facing each other, and pin them. Sew from the bottom of the darts to the top, one at a time.
Iron the interfacing to the waistband. Fold the waistband in fifth-eighths of an inch on all sides, and iron down. Pin the waistband to the skirt, right sides facing each other. Fold the waistband over the skirt top and iron down.
Sew all layers together along the outside of the skirt one-fourth inch from the bottom of the waistband. Make sure to sew through both sides of the waistband with the skirt in between.
Fold under the hem of the skirt to desired height, and iron down. Hand-sew the hem in place. Sew the hook and eye closure on to the waistband above the zipper.
Tips and warnings
- The seam allowance should be 5/8 inch on all seams.
- Try the skirt on before you sew the darts. If the skirt is to loose, make the darts deeper. If the skirt is too tight, let the darts out a little.
- Choose firmly woven fabric to maintain the shape of the skirt.
- Keep track of all pins and needles so they do not get stepped on or picked up by a child.
- Watch fingers when working with a sewing machine.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for