Composite decking material has become popular for a variety of reasons. Composite decking is more environmentally friendly than traditional wood, it requires less maintenance and it lasts much longer than a wooden deck. Composite decking is generally made out of a blend of wood or wood byproducts and plastic. As a result, it is not completely resistant to fire. Therefore, if you use a fire pit on your composite deck, it is important to protect it from heat and any stray embers.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Fire pit
- Fire-resistant mat
Position the fire-resistant pad several feet away from any railings, walls or overhangs to prevent blowing embers from igniting a fire.
Place the fire pit on top of the fire-resistant pad. The fire pit should be centred on the pad to ensure the composite deck is properly protected from blowing embers. Any stray embers should be extinguished immediately to further protect the composite decking.
Raise the fire pit off the ground if it does not have a stand. Place it on top of bricks or breeze blocks. The fire pit should not be placed directly on top of the pad. The pad may not be able to protect the composite deck from prolonged contact with heat.
Tips and warnings
- There are many types of hearth rugs and fireplace pads available for purchase. It is important to select one that is not only fire resistant but also large enough to fit under the entire fire pit.
- Always use extreme caution when using open fire.
- Never leave open flames or fire unattended.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for