A missing or corrupt Ntfs.Sys file will cause various error messages in Windows. The common way to fix this is to run a repair using the original Windows disk. If your disk is missing, it may be possible to fix a corrupt Ntfs.Sys without a Windows disk, assuming you can still log in to Windows.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Ntfs.Sys file
- Winrar or unzipping utility
- Unlocker (optional)
Download a replacement Ntfs.Sys file from the System Files Home website. Also, download and install WinRar if you don’t have an unzipping program.
Save the Ntfs.Sys download to your desktop or “My Documents” folder. Open it with WinRar and unzip it to a folder you can easily remember.
Restart the computer in safe mode by repeatedly tapping “F8” before Windows loads.
Choose Safe Mode from the list of options and wait for the computer to completely load.
Locate the Ntfs.Sys file you downloaded; right-click on it and select “Copy.”
Go to "My Computer," then click "C:," then "Windows," then "System 32." Paste the file into the folder (right-click in an empty area of the folder and select "Paste").
Restart the computer to see if the error reoccurs.
Tips and warnings
- You can also retrieve the Ntfs.Sys file without a Windows disk if you have access to another computer with the same operating system. Go to the folder specified in the steps and copy the file to a flash drive.
- If you have trouble starting Safe Mode, it is possible to paste Ntfs.Sys by using a program to force unlock the original file. Download and install Unlocker. Right-click the Ntfs.Sys file located in the Windows folder and choose “Unlocker.” Then, “Unlock All” and you will be able to overwrite the file with the downloaded version.
- Starting Windows in Safe Mode allows you to overwrite system files as needed. If you attempt to paste the file in normal mode, you’ll get an error.
- If this fix doesn’t work or you can’t boot Windows, you must repair Windows using the installation CD.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for