You can only patch and repair the metal roof on your mobile home so many times before it will need replacing. This does not mean you have to hire a professional roofing company. The most challenging part of installing the metal roof is to remove the old one and scrape the roof clean of debris. You can hire day workers or ask friends to help. After you have cleaned the roof and removed all the old vents, the job becomes a matter of following the steps of adding insulation, furring strips, metal roofing, foam closure strips, and gables.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- 3 mm (1/4 inch) nut driver for drill
- Drill bit for deck screws
- Circular saw with metal cutting blade
- Tin snips
- Tape measure
- Marking pencil
- Chalk line
- Corrugated sheet metal
- 7.5 cm (3 inch) white sheet metal screws with neoprene washers
- 9 cm (3 1/2 inch) deck screws
- 1.3 cm (1/2 inch) fanfold insulation or insulating board
- 2.5 x 10 cm (1 x 4 inch) board 3.6 m (12 feet) long
- Foam closure strips
- 9.6 m (32 feet) of metal gable trim
- Neoprene rubber roof cement
- Duct tape
- Stanley knife
Lay down rows of fanfold insulation the length of the roof. Trim the insulation to size with a utility knife if necessary. Duct-tape the seams of the insulation.
Line the roof with 2.5 x 10 cm (1 x 4 inch) furring strips, laying them lengthwise and end to end, 60 cm (2 feet) apart. Furring strips lay across the rafters. Feel around to roof locate the rafters. Lay a chalk line across the width of the roof and over the top of the furring strips to mark the rafters for drilling locations. Use 9 cm (3 1/2 inch) deck screws and drill the furring strips to the rafters.
Measure the width of the roof and add 20 cm (8 inches) for overhang. Use a circular saw to cut the metal roofing to size. Lay the first piece of metal roofing, making sure the overhang is even on both sides. Set the first sheet so it is flush with the edge of the house. Insert a foam closure strip to each end of the metal strip. Use a drill and 9 cm (3 1/2 inch) deck screws to attach the metal to the furring strips. Drill screws with neoprene washers on the top of every ridge in the metal sheeting.
Position the second sheet of metal with the edge without writing overlapping the edge with writing. Insert the foam closure strips into the ends. Use a drill and 9 cm (3 1/2 inch) deck screws to attach the metal to the furring strips. Continue until the roof is covered with metal.
Measure, mark, and cut corresponding holes in the metal roofing to allow for vents. Use neoprene rubber roof cement to seal around each vent. Replace any old or cracked rubber boots around any vent. If necessary, extend a vent above the roof line by gluing a coupler to the vent and adding additional pipe. Remove larger furnace vents before installing the new roofing.
Attach the gable trim on each end of the new roof. Use a drill and 9 cm (3 1/2 inch) deck screws. Place a screw every 30 cm (12 inches) on the top and bottom to finish the roof.
Tips and warnings
- When going to the hardware shop for roofing materials, replacement vents and parts, it is a good idea to take digital pictures with you to identify the correct parts. This can save you several trips to the store. Measure your roof, write it down, and take it with you to the shop.
- Always overlap the metal roofing in the same direction. The edge of the metal with writing must underneath the edge with no writing to seal the roof from potential water damage.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for