It is natural for human hair to grey as we age. This greying is due to a reduction of pigment. Although going grey is a part of growing older, many people wish to maintain a more youthful look by dying grey hair. Because grey hair is generally resistant to dark artificial pigmentation, many individuals chose to colour their grey a natural-looking blonde shade.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Blonde hair dye
- Plastic or rubber gloves
- Mixing bottle/applicator
- Hair clips
Choose a shade of blonde that works with your skin tone. Rather than going by the picture on the hair colour package, look for hair swatches in the store. Hold the hair swatch to your skin to determine if the shade goes will with your natural skin colouration.
While wearing gloves, carefully mix the dye solution in the applicator bottle according to the directions on the package. Mixing directions may vary depending on the brand of dye you choose, so read and follow the directions carefully.
Using a comb, divide hair into quartered sections. Part each section by starting in the front and pulling the comb back towards the nape of the neck. Clip each section off until ready to colour.
Apply colour to areas with the most grey first. Work colour into hair in 1.2 cm (1/2 inch) sections by massaging strands with your gloved hands. After all hair is saturated, apply any left-over colouring to the hairline.
Leave mixture on hair for at least the recommended time specified in the directions. Because grey hair is especially resistant to dye, it may be necessary to leave dye in a few minutes longer than the time specified by the manufacturer.
Rinse hair with lukewarm water. At first, the water rinsing from the hair will be rich in colour. Continue to rinse until the water running form hair is clear.
Tips and warnings
- Use hair colouring specially formulated for grey hair. Graey hair is coarse and resistant to colour. Hair care products made for grey hair contain special conditioners to soften hair and add shine.
- After colouring use shampoos and conditioners for colour treated hair. These products are intended to keep hair colour from fading.
- Always colour hair in a well ventilated area.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for