DISCOVER
×

How to Treat Black Mildew on Wood

Mildew -- like mould -- is a common problem many homeowners face. Even though mildew is not considered dangerous it still creates an unsightly mess when growing on surfaces such as wood. Not only will mildew stain the wood but it will also fill the air with an unpleasant musty aroma. Fortunately, you can remove black mildew with a few common household items and restore the look of your wood.

Wear a pair of rubber gloves when working with chemicals to prevent skin irritation.

Fill a bucket with 2 cups of warm water. Add 3 drops of liquid dish soap and mix with a wooden spoon.

Dampen a cloth in the mixture. Wipe the surface mildew off the wood with the cloth. Discard the contents in the bucket. Rinse the bucket clean with water.

Pour 1 gallon of warm water into the clean bucket. Add 1 1/2 cups of bleach into the water and mix with a wooden spoon. Fill a spray bottle with the mixture.

Spray the mixture onto the wood and allow it to sit undisturbed for a few minutes. Do not allow the mixture to dry on the wood.

Scrub the wood with a clean cloth. Continue applying the mixture and scrubbing the wood with a clean cloth until you have thoroughly removed all the black mildew. Wipe the wood dry with a towel.

Prevent mould and mildew from forming on your wood by wiping up spills as soon as they happen. Also, run a dehumidifier in your home to lower the amount of mould spores floating in the air.

Warning

Never mix bleach with ammonia or products containing ammonia. The resulting fumes are toxic.

Things You'll Need

  • Rubber gloves
  • Bucket
  • Liquid dish soap
  • Wooden spoon
  • Cloths
  • Bleach
  • Spray bottle
  • Towels
  • Dehumidifier
bibliography-icon icon for annotation tool Cite this Article

About the Author

Amanda Flanigan began writing professionally in 2007. Flanigan has written for various publications, including WV Living and American Craft Council, and has published several eBooks on craft and garden-related subjects. Flanigan completed two writing courses at Pierpont Community and Technical College.