During Halloween, police officer costumes are rather popular with men, women and children alike. While everyone has a slightly different take on this costume, there are certain elements that are usually the same, so that you can make a cop costume at home with a few articles of second-hand clothes and some basic craft supplies.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Dark blue T-shirt
- Dark blue trousers
- Black shoes
- Black belt
- Black visor
- Gold fabric
- Dark blue fabric
- Fabric scissors
- Sewing machine
- Wooden dowel, 12 inches long
- Gold spray paint
- Black spray paint
- Black permanent marker
- Hot glue
Cut out three arrow-shaped pieces of gold fabric (each about 2 inches wide), and sew them in a row on the left sleeve of a blue T-shirt to indicate "rank."
Cut out a piece of cardboard into the shape of a police badge or shield (one point at the bottom with three points at the top).
Spray-paint the badge gold, and use a black permanent marker to write "Police" across the middle of it. Hot-glue this badge to the upper right-hand side of the T-shirt.
Pair the shirt with a pair of dark blue trousers, a black belt, and a pair of black shoes.
To make the hat, cut out a circle of dark blue fabric 12 inches in diameter. Sew a gathering stitch around the entire circumference of the circle.
Gather the fabric until the edge of the circle is just small enough to fit inside the visor.
Glue the gathered edge of the circle to the inside of the black visor, and flatten the fabric down as much as possible.
Spray-paint a 12-inch wooden dowel black, and carry it around as a nightstick.
Tips and warnings
- For a woman's costume, you may substitute a short dark blue skirt instead of dark blue trousers. You may also replace the T-shirt with a well-fitting button-up shirt.
- For a child's costume, you may add some fun accessories such as a whistle or some toy handcuffs.
- Dark blue jeans may be used instead of dress trousers.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for