Air fresheners for the home can be rather pricey. Don't purchase those refills! Use the old container or a jelly jar to create your own gel air freshener refill at home. The process is so simple you'll wonder why you didn't make your own air freshener refills before. No matter how you choose to present your gel air freshener refill, you'll be pleasantly surprised at the ease of this practical project.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 2 cups liquid potpourri
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin such as Knox (14g or .0492 oz. or 2.95 tsp.)
- Plastic stirring spoon
- 2 drops food colouring
- 1/8 tsp salt
Heat two cups of liquid potpourri just to a boil in a saucepan. This recipe will make enough air freshener to refill a 454gr. air freshener dispenser. If your air freshener dispenser is smaller than that, make sure you have enough other containers to pour the excess air freshener gel into. Use 113gr. jelly jars to make air freshener containers if you haven't accumulated enough dispensers to recycle.
Stir, with the plastic stirring spoon, two envelopes of unflavored gelatin into the boiling potpourri in the saucepan until dissolved. Two standard envelopes of unflavored gelatin equal 2.95 tsp, or 14g, or .0492 oz. Some brands do not label the measurement of the individual envelope contents. You will want to use spoons, pans, and containers that you don't normally use for food, because the liquid potpourri will stain and leave a fragrance in the equipment.
Remove from the heat and stir in two drops of food colouring and 1/8-tsp of salt with the plastic stirring spoon. The salt is added for protection against mould development on your air freshener refill.
Pour the air freshener gel refill into the air freshener container(s) and place in the refrigerator overnight or until set. Place in the desired location when the air freshener gel refill is a solidified gel. The gel will dry and shrivel like an ordinary gel air freshener over the course of one to two months.
Tips and warnings
- If you have to use additional containers to use all of your air freshener refill gel, canning/jelly jars with ring tops are an excellent choice. Find a piece of stiff plastic from some product package and trace the inside of the canning ring. Cut it out and use a hole punch to make three or four holes near the centre. Insert the plastic under the canning jar ring and screw it onto the jelly jar filled with the gel air freshener refill. Place the air freshener gel refills on top of toilets, counter tops, etc.
- Keep your air freshener refills out of the reach of children and pets, especially if you have used a fruit or sweet-scented liquid potpourri, as children and pets may confuse the air freshener gel with food or candy and try to eat it.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for