One of the possible downfalls for the Wii console is its low hard disk space, but you can largely remedy this with the open SD card slot on the front, allowing you to upgrade to almost limitless memory by inserting a fresh SD card whenever you run out of room. Fortunately, the SD card slot is easy to use. You should have no trouble copying your saved games or Wii Shop Channel data to an SD card.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- SD card
Insert the SD card into the SD card port on the front of your Wii console. The port is behind a white plastic flap by the disc slot on the front of the machine. If you are using a MiniSD or MicroSD card, make sure it's firmly connected to its full-size adaptor before installing it into the machine. Push the card in until it clicks into place.
Power on the Wii console and open the Wii options menu by clicking the "Wii" icon in the bottom-left corner of the screen.
Select the data management option, then choose the Wii console option. You are now in the Wii memory management mode.
Choose either "Save files" or "Channels," depending on which item you are copying over. All of the Virtual Console and WiiWare titles you may have on your system are included as Channels.
Scroll through until you find the channel or saved game you intend to copy to the SD card. Use the plus (+) and minus (-) buttons or the left and right arrows to scroll through the available channels.
Click the icon for the game files you wish to copy. You then will have the option to "Copy to SD Card" or "Delete."
Click "Copy to SD Card," then wait for the system to finish copying the information over. This process can take a few seconds to a few minutes, depending on how large the file is.
When the copy is complete, either delete the information from your system or move to another file to copy. If you are finished with memory management, back out to the Wii Menu.
Tips and warnings
- You can also download games directly to the SD card from the Wii shop channel.
- You can play games directly off your SD card if you have updated to Wii Menu 4.0 or later. Click the SD card icon on the lower-left side of the screen to load the information that is on your SD card.
- Not all SD cards are compatible with the Nintendo Wii. For more information about which cards are and are not compatible with the console, visit Nintendo.com.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for