Beaded hangers add style and colour to the closet and can be crafted to match your personality and your clothes. Beaded coat hangers make an aesthetically pleasing yet practical homemade gift and quick project you can do alone or with young children.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Needle nose pliers
- Wire coat hanger
Grasp needle nose pliers in your dominant hand, the wire coat hanger in the other. Notice where the hanger is held together---on the neck below the hook that rests on the bar in the closet. The hanger is made from one piece of wire, bent into shape and secured by the wire wound around at the neck. Unwrap this wire with the pliers, without destroying the shape.
Loop the wire at the end of the hanging hook to form an eye shape, like the end of a needle. Depending on the gauge (thickness) of the wire, you may be able to do this with your hands. If not, use the pliers. This eye hook will prevent beads from falling off.
Determine the gauge of the coat hanger wire; a common gauge for a hanger is 13. You will need to purchase beads that have holes that gauge or larger. If you are unsure, take the hanger with you when shopping for beads, and ask the salesperson to determine what gauge bead hole you'll need to complete the project.
String the beads on the hanger, pushing them tightly together right up to the eye hook you created. Stop beading when you have 2 inches of wire remaining and you've beaded up the side of the second shoulder rest on the hanger.
Retrieve your pliers, and wrap the 2-inch length remainder of wire between the beads up the neck of the hanger in the same manner in which it was originally wound.
Tips and warnings
- Using large beads on the body of the hanger will help keep the thin straps of swimming costumes, lingerie and tank tops from sliding off the hanger.
- Using small beads on the hanging hook will enable the hanger to sit better on the rod.
- Pick beads that you can string in a pattern of your favourite colours or to match the decor of the room in which they will be hanging.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for