Sofa beds are very convenient items to have around. When you have company staying for the night, you can turn your sofa into a comfortable place for your guests to sleep rather than having them cramped on the sofa or on the floor. However, over several years of use, a sofa bed can start to sag, leading to an uncomfortable indentation in the mattress. Fixing this issue is simple with the right tools.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Measuring tape
- ¼-inch plywood
- Thick wire
- Wire cutters
Measure the frame of your sofa bed under the mattress. You will likely need to pull up the mattress to do this. You may wish to leave the mattress to one side until you are done with your repair.
Cut the amount of plywood that you would need to cover your sofa bed frame.
Cut the plywood into three pieces that will sit horizontally in your sofa bed frame. When you are done, you should have three pieces of plywood that will sit comfortably inside your sofa bed or underneath it when it is folded up.
Drill three holes along one edge of two of the plywood segments. These holes should be spaced evenly.
Drill three corresponding holes along both edges of the third plywood segment.
Lay the three pieces of wood on the floor in the configuration that they will take when they rest on the sofa bed frame.
Lace the wire between each set of holes. You are going to be creating links that allow the pieces of plywood to fan fold together for easy storage. Remember to leave enough slack in the links so that the pieces will fold over neatly. It make take a little bit of work to get the tension right.
Trim any protruding wire ends with the wire cutters.
Lay the finished product out flat on the sofa bed frame.
Put the mattress on top of the new, reinforced frame.
Tips and warnings
- Depending on where you buy your plywood, you may be able to have the plywood cut for you.
- If you are very handy, you can also use hinges to connect the plywood segments. Just remember that you need to set the hinges so that you can create the fan fold.
- If you want to make sure that your plywood does not damage the fabric of your sofa bed, you may wish to sand it. If you do decide to sand your plywood, do so by hand and not with a belt sander.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for