One of the most common culprits of stubborn adhesive on acrylic plastic is sticky labels or price tags. Even if you try to gently pull them off, the bottom adhesive layer may stick to the plastic, while the top printed portion comes right off. You may be tempted to scrape off the remaining adhesive, but that can cause scratches in the fragile acrylic plastic. Luckily, the adhesive is not a permanent stain--it just requires a process of completely loosening the stickiness so you can cleanly remove it.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Baby oil
- Soft cloth
- Nylon or plastic scrub brush
- Paper towel
Peel away the thickest, most easily removable parts of the adhesive and discard them. Apply enough baby oil onto a soft cloth to sufficiently cover the entire surface of the adhesive area on the acrylic plastic.
Place the baby oil-covered cloth directly onto the adhesive. Keep the cloth positioned on the adhesive for at least five minutes.
Remove the cloth and wipe the adhesive lightly with a nylon or plastic scrub brush to determine if the adhesive has loosened. Put the baby oil-covered cloth back onto the adhesive for another five minutes or until the adhesive loosens (the exact amount of time will depend on the thickness of the adhesive).
Buff the loosened adhesive with the nylon or plastic scrub brush until all the adhesive particles come off the acrylic plastic. Dampen a paper towel with warm water, then wipe it across the acrylic plastic to remove any traces of adhesive or baby oil.
Tips and warnings
- If you the adhesive is stubborn and requires a long soaking time, wrap masking tape around the cloth to keep it secured to the acrylic plastic, so you don't have to hold it in place.
- You also can substitute a car lubricant spray for the baby oil--it is gentle enough to not damage the acrylic but will be able to melt the adhesive.
- Never apply any harsh chemical solvents to acrylic plastic to remove adhesive as they could damage the material.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for